BASIC ROCK SCHOOL
Boulder Mountaineering School, CMC Boulder Group
Basic Rock School is well-suited for newcomers to rock climbing or for climbers with some experience who wish to review current best practices in safety. This school provides instruction on how to belay, climb multi-pitch routes as a 'second' or 'follower', and descend safely. All climbs done in the school are beginner climbs rated 5.4 or below.
There are no prerequisites, but Hiking and Survival Essentials or equivalent
experience is recommended.
Course fee: $175.
For members with prior climbing experience, you may qualify to test out of BRS; contact the BRS director to discuss this. You can test out of BRS for the following reasons: to join trad rock climbing trips, or to take other CMC courses which require BRS as a prerequisite, (Rock Leading School, Intermediate Snow Travel, Sport Leading Clinic, Top Roping Clinic and Advanced Mountaineering School). Contact the BRS Director at email@example.com
Contact: the school.
- Climbing equipment
- Knots, clipping into anchors, and rope management
- Belaying with belay device and Münter hitch
- Escaping the belay (tying off a fallen climber)
- Basic movement skills on rock: friction, face holds, crack climbing, downclimbing
- Aspects of multi-pitch climbing: rope management, team dynamics, cleaning a pitch
- Rappelling with various rappel brakes
- Overcoming a knot or obstacle in a rappel rope
- Ascending a rope or performing self-rescue with prussik loops
- Low-angle arm rappels
- Students's can expect to spend an additional $80 to $100 on basic climbing equipment and the course textbook, if they do not own any climbing gear already. An equipment list and student discount card is provided at the first lecture.
- It is recommended that students not purchase any equipment prior to the course, but wait until after the first lecture, when the necessary equipment will be discussed, and can be purchased in the following week before the second lecture, when the equipment will be used.
- Helmets are provided for students who do not have them.
- Basic Rock School is a prerequisite for Intermediate Snow, Rock Leading School, and Advanced Mountaineering School.
- A BRS Test Out Procedure is available for experienced climbers; please see the link for more information.